No. of Public CPD Points: 1.5
Practice Area: International Law
Training Level: General
About the Programme
Foreign investments into Singapore and Singaporean investments abroad are likely to be impacted by governmental measures seeking to manage and prevent the spread of Covid-19. These investments may be protected by bilateral investment treaties (BITs) or free trade agreements (FTAs), which may grant investors direct arbitration rights against a government that breaches these protections.
This webinar will examine:
- the extent to which an investor may rely on these protections when its foreign investments are affected by measures related to Covid-19; and
- the international law defences available to a government in the event a foreign investor claims that its investments have been subjected to Covid-19 measures that violate available BIT or FTA investment protections.
- Dr Romesh Weeramantry – Counsel, Clifford Chance (Singapore)
- Nicholas Lingard – Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Singapore
- Professor Chester Brown – Professor, University of Sydney Law School; Barrister, 7 Wentworth Selborne Chambers and Essex Court Chambers
For more information, please click here for the publicity brochure.
For other CPD events, please visit the LawSoc CPD Portal.